160by2 provides free sms to anybody who owns a mobile phone in India (sms is used for verification).
Out of total 160 characters in sms 80 characters is used for advertisements and another 80 can be utilized by users to send free sms. Hence the name 160/2.
I see no harm in this approach as both advertisers and users would benefit out of it. Some of the salient points:
- 160by2 is not sending ad to anybody. It is just appending an ad to the user message.
- Ads are contextual, place, date and sex specific so highly targeted.
- 160by2 users comprises of primarily young people but receivers could be anybody so variety is there too.
- 160by2 has one of the most simple and to the point website.
- 160by2 provides users not only a way to send free sms but also manage their mobile contacts online, free classifieds and alerts.
- Right now it can only be used to send sms to india and user should own an Indian mobile number.