Posted by Amitabh Shukla on June 26, 2009 in Personality Development
One wants to be success, be it in the professional or personal life. The ability to communicate and win people over does matter. It may sound very easy, but difficult to attain. It requires hard practice and meticulous cultivation to convince others about your views and opinion and have them on your side.
Today’s professional life is highly competitive. Even in personal life it has become necessary to have a wide circle of friends. One has to socialize a lot, interact with all kinds of people and sell one’s ideas. Be it any profession, salesmanship is essential to excel in one’s field. Even a doctor has to communicate well with his or her patients and win them over in order to have a thriving practice.
How does one win over people? Let us give an insight into it, so that a person can improve upon his personality to make it more attractive and convincing.
How to win over people?
- One must change one’s undesirable behavior for positive reinforcement. Losing one’s cool, being rude can put off a person.
- Develop an amicable personality. A friendly disposition can win over many people. Most people like to interact with cheerful and bright people.
- Be courteous. Politeness pays. Use words such as “please”, “I am sorry” wherever required. If a man, be a gentleman and if a woman, be a lady.
- Try to be as sincere and truthful in your utterances. A person who deceives others and tells a whole lot of lies is shunned.
- Dress up appropriately. One must dress up according to the occasion. In formal situation one must go in for formal wear. Be in informal dress where it is permissible.
- One must not try to control people. Do not tell them what to do. Convince them in such a manner they control themselves to do things that you would like them to do.
- Make a person feel comfortable in a relationship. They should feel wanted and secure. Financial and emotional security are essential for people. The other person must be made to feel he or she is gaining from the relationship.
- Know what you want. You must be very clear about your goals.
- Be clear about what the other person expects of you. After all, the person who your dealing with also expects something in return for interacting with you.
- Be persistent. Do not give up so easily. It takes time to achieve your goal. One has to work hard at it.
- Use first names if possible. Initially, be formal with a Mr. or Ms. After you buildup a good rapport start using first names as then the relationship would become more amicable. You transcend barriers.
- Pay attention to what the other person is saying. By not being attentive, you lose out on the person.
- Have high expectations. When you expect a lot you achieve a lot.
- Be a good listener. You will win over people easily. Communicating with the other person is easy if you he or she feels you pay more attention to what he or she is saying.
- Do not appear domineering. See the other person’s point of view.
- Be sure of your facts. You need to be well versed in your respective field in order to convince the other person.
- Respect the sentiments and feelings of the other person. Make him or her feel you care for him or her. Do not appear to be indifferent.
- Get rid of distractions while conversing with a person. Your full concentration will be on what the other person is saying. The flow of conversation will be smooth and easy.
- The questions you ask require specific purpose or else you will lose out on credibility.
- Your message has to be well understood. Avoid ambiguities. Message with benefits are more appealing. The other person must gain by interacting with you.
Social popularity can be achieved if you are able to convince others about your intentions and what you can achieve. Be polite and courteous and a good listener. Avoid showing disregard to the other person’s feelings. Winning over people is an art.